I have been working as a food server off and on since I was fourteen and it never gets any less interesting. This is not about fine dining, its about the flip side of the industry working in the trenches of the massive national restaurant chains. Laugh or cry, people!



Monday, March 14, 2011

Server Dreams

I don’t have server dreams all the time. It mostly happens when I’ve been working too many double shifts.

I dream about getting the refills out to my tables a lot. Usually there is a mob of servers lined up at the pop machine and when it’s my turn, the Coke runs out and I have to go change it. I dream about arguing with the cooks and not being able to find stuff I need.

I’ve known for a long time I talk in my sleep about work. “I have to get the orange juice out to table 12!” Recently, I’ve also taken to walking in my sleep when I’m in the weeds. My boyfriend is a light sleeper so luckily he usually wakes me up by asking me what I’m doing or where I’m going.

So last night I was in the weeds. You know the story. Attention hogs, new tables, new beverages, food dying in the window, the list goes on and on.

I was running to the pantry to make a salad I forgot to take out when I heard my boyfriend ask, “Where are you going?”

I woke abruptly and realized I was I was in our hallway and apparently on my way to our kitchen. At home. “Umm… I thought I had to make a dinner salad for work,” I replied sheepishly.

“Well,” he said calmly, “you know I like bleu cheese with extra croutons.”

I’m waiting tables in my sleep and you’re seriously ordering food from me?

The nerve.

3 comments:

  1. That's really, really, funny! Over the years I've had some nightmares that were real doozies.. some of which I've posted... but I don't think I have ever sleepwalked. I say what I always say about waiter nightmares... we outta get to clock in for those dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had what I called Chilimares when I worked at Chili's and they are awful. I don't sleepwalk, though!! Glad your boyfriend has a sense of humor about it, too. My hubby talks in his sleep, but I'm not sure what about. One night he told me, "Well, you're in the chicken zone so I guess that's okay." "Uh. Honey....what?" "The chicken zone!! You know what I'm saying." And then he fell back asleep. Uh-huh. Right.

    ReplyDelete